Last Updated on
I’ve had a blog on Serendipity since 2004. At that time I chose Serendipity as my platform because I’d had a bad experience with WordPress (it lost my database) and I wanted something different. I was pretty happy with Serendipity for a long time. However I get the feeling (I hope wrongly) that development has slowed at present, particularly as regards themes and plugins. This made me think it was time to start looking for an alternative.
When I did this I found that things have changed a lot since 2004. In fact, Serendipity seems to be just about the last man standing when it comes to self-hosted blogging platforms, which is what WordPress was in 2004. It has now become something more ambitious, a Content Management System (CMS), which includes blogging as one of its components, though admittedly an important one.
I wasn’t keen on installing a CMS at first but after about two weeks’ experimenting with other possibilities I’ve come to the conclusion that WordPress is the best solution for me. So that’s why I’ve started this new blog.
That doesn’t mean my Serendipity blog will disappear. It’s difficult or impossible to migrate material from Serendipity to WordPress so I shall keep my previous blog available indefinitely (it gets a number of hits every day). You can comment on earlier posts there but new posts will only appear here.
For lots of other stuff, including almost 600 book reviews, please visit my sitemap/home page.
Why I’m starting this blog
- Book review: The Bodhisattva’s Brain, by Owen Flanagan
- Why are some of your books free?
- Book review: Mind-body Problems, by John Horgan
- On not finishing reading books
- Derek Parfit – Biographical Article
- Book review: The Last Neanderthal, by Claire Cameron
- Book review: Why Freud Was Wrong, by Richard Webster
- Book review: The Diet Myth, by Tim Spector
- Book review: D-Day, by Antony Beevor
- Book review: Riverita, by Armando Palacio Valdes [in Spanish]
- Book review: The Pursuit of the Millennium, by Norman Cohn
- Book review: The Secrets of Station X, by Michael Smith
- Book review: The Problems of Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell
- Book review: Their Finest Hour, by Winston S. Churchill
- Book review: Replay, by Ken Grimwood
- Book review: The Mind Is Flat, by Nick Chater
- Book review: The Dead, by James Joyce
- Book review: The Gathering Storm, by Winston S. Churchill
- WordPress and Serendipity Compared
- New feature in OpenBSD
- Vim – how to avoid hjkl confusion in Insert mode
- Spectrwm – minor annoyance solved
- i3 and Spectrwm compared
- Mutt not weeding headers
- KISS – A computer odyssey
- How to make a sitemap.xml for a medium-sized site & edit it with Vim
- How to avoid problems with Vim undo & redo
- How to save $HOME when reinstalling OpenBSD
- An eccentric method of writing blog articles?
- Qsf – a small fast accurate spam filter
- How to replace procmail with fdm
- Greta Thunberg
- Climate change protests
- A note to translators
- New light on the origin of complex life?
- Simplicity, minimalism, KISS…
- Useful resource: Wikipedia’s Style Page
- Useful resource: Human evolution – an online journal
- ‘Line of Duty’ spelling mistake?
- Our murderous ancestors?
- ‘Dirty Old Town’ in BBC ‘Informer’
- Thin fonts on the Net